Pellet Stove Problem Questions – Answered by a Professional Stove Technician

I Keep Getting Clinkers in My Burn Pot. What is Causing This?

PelletStoveClinkerClinkers, which look like clumps of ash, can cause airflow issues from blockage. Clinkers are formed by burned or partially burned pellets that melt together into a clump.

There are two likely reasons for clinkers – a poor air mixture which due to a neglected or dity unit, or incorrect air adjustments.

My Pellet Stove Won’t Ignite.

There are a variety of reasons for your pellet stove failing to light.  The most common reasons – bad air flow, a dirty unit, bad igniter, blown fuse, bad gasket around igniter – could be easily avoided with regular maintenance and professional inspections.

The Heat Isn’t As Hot As It Should Be.

Not feeling the heat you were expecting can be frustrating. The most likely culprits for this issue are – a dirty unit blocking proper airflow, a neglected/dirty heat exchanger, and incorrect blower settings. If none of these are the cause, and you purchased your fuel from Woodpellets.com, give our Quality Control Manager a call to walk you through what’s happening.

Pellet Stove Service and InspectionsMy Stove Keeps Shutting Down

Many newer units will flash a light on the unit, and will give a reason on the screen for the shut down. You may have noticed the common causes for most pellet stove problems by now – a dirty unit, and poor air adjustment which won’t provide enough heat to trip the sensors. Also, your pellets might not being feeding into the auger correctly, due to a worn down or broken part.

My Flame is Very Lazy

If your flame is weak, or “lazy”, you’re not getting the heat you need and your stove might shut down. This problem is most likely caused by a bad or weak blower exhaust, poor air adjustments, or an uncleaned/neglected pellet stove.

75 Comments

1. ELIZABETH Author December 14, 2017 (2:02 pm)

I have a ravelli pellet stove, it gives me an error of… smoke sensor… we cleaned the stove and replaced the sensor, but still will not stay lit, and gives the same error. How can I fix it?

Reply to ELIZABETH
    • Cheryl Allan Author May 31, 2020 (11:39 am)

Hi Elizabeth we are looking at buying Ravelli dual 7 it self cleans has digital screen remote control, do you think they are worth buying or are faulty as the cost is thousands of dollars Ive been trying to find reviews to see if its bad investment?
      From cheryl

Reply to Cheryl Allan
  2. Jazmin Author December 21, 2017 (4:54 am)

I have a ” US Stove 5660 48,000-BTUs 200-CFM 2,200-Sq.Ft. Large Automatic Bay Front Pellet Stove” and the air flow is not working right. It is not burning the pellets the way it should. We clean it eveyday & we take care of it really well. How would we go about fixing this?

Reply to Jazmin
  3. Joe ewing Author December 28, 2017 (1:55 pm)

Can the flue connect to hot water flue

Reply to Joe ewing
  4. Christina Author January 3, 2018 (4:56 am)

This is my first pellet stove. I’m getting a lot of partially burned pellets in my firepot and it’s overflowing. The trim is confusing to me. My handbook says if it’s lazy flame, or sooty turn it down. If it goes out or doesn’t ignite properly turn it up. Which is more air? What should I did to prevent overflow and waste?

Reply to Christina
  5. Libby Licwov Author January 3, 2018 (1:58 pm)

My pellet stove makes a vibrating sound but there is no movement in it

Reply to Libby Licwov
  6. fed up with morons Author January 13, 2018 (7:57 pm)

My pellet stove shows a “U” on the blower speed. We changed the igniter and it still does not start. Any suggestions as to why?

Reply to fed up with morons
  7. Jim Author February 19, 2018 (2:11 pm)

My Harmon Accentra stopped and left the house smelling like hot wires and no power to the control panel. It is 11 years old. My circuit is fine for the stove.

Reply to Jim
  8. Tamara Wishon Author September 10, 2018 (6:10 pm)

i have an old waterford erin renaissance pellet stove i just bought.I cleaned everything started it ,it burns fine but leaves black soot on the glass right away and is blowing an exhaust smell into the house so bad i have to shut it off.i replaced the gasket ring on the burn pot but still no change.and i made sure it was seated well in the burn pot hole in the back.I’m out of ideas.

Reply to Tamara Wishon
  9. Donna J Allison Author December 6, 2018 (5:51 pm)

pellet stove pellets do not go all the way down.. ash builds up (cleaned it) but, does it again and the flame goes out .. any ideas on what is wrong?

Reply to Donna J Allison
  10. Stefanie Davis Author December 9, 2018 (7:28 pm)

I vacuum my pellet stove out each time befor I use it. For the last 2 months it seems to be over feeding, it gets alot of pellets in the fire bin, then smokes out my house and some times it lites other times it doesn’t. If I open the front door and suck the smoke out and some of the pellets then it lites and works fine. What could be causing this

Reply to Stefanie Davis
  11. Bj chiodi Author January 1, 2019 (7:11 pm)

On windy days my pellet stove has wicked backdraft I have my exhaust in a prevailing wind area will anything help this so I don’t have to shut it off on windy days

Reply to Bj chiodi
  12. Phil Author January 5, 2019 (7:31 am)

Hi. On my extra flame unit I keep getting the mechanical depression sensor alarm. Even when fully loaded with pellets.

Reply to Phil
  13. TISH348 Author February 14, 2019 (2:21 pm)

I turned my pellet stove off while it was still burning and now the pellets in the chute look like tar. Why is that

Reply to TISH348
  14. John Koziol Author February 19, 2019 (4:54 pm)

I keep blowing the fuse on the control board. About 10 seconds after i turn the power on the fuse blows. Any ideas?

Reply to John Koziol
  15. john Author February 24, 2019 (1:07 pm)

My flames are not consistent it’s start low has expected and then it stay were it should and goes back low I this normal?

Reply to john
  16. Trish Author October 10, 2019 (2:24 pm)

I have a Kozi 100 Pellet Stove and when I turn it on it shuts down after about 30 to 40 seconds later. Does any one know why? What I may have to replace? So, far I have replaced the control panel, thermo disk, and start switch.

Reply to Trish
    • Chad Author November 12, 2019 (12:25 am)

Did you ever get an answer. My stove is doing the same thing.

Reply to Chad
  17. Robbie Author November 22, 2019 (10:42 pm)

I’ve an extraflame stove which seems to have developed an issue igniting . I replaced the ignition. Works fine heating up but just won’t ignite the pellets ! Airflow is fine I’ll cleaned & no blockage. At a loss

Reply to Robbie
  18. Gary Halley Author November 24, 2019 (8:04 pm)

My st crox pellet stove blows cold air then shuts off after less then a minute

Reply to Gary Halley
  19. Danielle Author November 25, 2019 (4:10 am)

My electric pellet stove keeps turning off and I have to turn it back on for blower and heat element to come back on

Reply to Danielle
    • Michele Collins Author November 29, 2020 (5:20 pm)

Check piping make sure nothing’s clogged. Read my above reply to my question (it’s a long response) we have a King pellet stove. This explains everything we’ve done to make sure it runs smoothly.

Reply to Michele Collins
  20. Amy Mullenax Author November 26, 2019 (1:44 pm)

I have a 1994 breckwell pellet stove it wont light. I light it and drops pellets and tries to light but wont stay going.. could thus be a fuse?

Reply to Amy Mullenax
  21. Bob Gregory Author November 28, 2019 (12:45 pm)

correct air adjustments.? How do I know when I have the correct air adjustment for my Kozi pellet stove

Reply to Bob Gregory
  22. Craig Bowlsby Author December 4, 2019 (9:12 pm)

How long should pellet stove operate with the high limit switch bypassed, I have replaced the vacuum switch and when I try to turn it on the #4 light on control board lights up and stove doesn’t work, I bypassed the limit switch and it runs for about ten minutes then shuts down ? Thanks for your advice

Reply to Craig Bowlsby
  23. Jessica Rodrigues Author December 15, 2019 (6:30 pm)

Why does my pellet stove take forever to shut off so it can be cleaned?

Reply to Jessica Rodrigues
  24. David VanHoute Author December 27, 2019 (2:59 am)

My Vogelzang stove shut down with a E3 code . I cleaned it tried to start it and it runs for about a minute. It starts to fill the burn pot and shuts down with an E2 code. Any ideas why?

Reply to David VanHoute
  25. JeffRey John Daniel Author January 11, 2020 (5:50 am)

Pelet stove turning on by itself when thermostat is in off position. Bad thermostat? Or other issue?? Any one have any ideas?? Please help

Reply to JeffRey John Daniel
  26. Robert Tompkins Author January 11, 2020 (1:16 pm)

I have a king pellet stove and my igniter stays on and it burned out is it supposed to be on all the time if not what could the problem be

Reply to Robert Tompkins
  27. Joanne filippi Author January 12, 2020 (12:59 am)

I have issues with harman pellet stove

Reply to Joanne filippi
  28. Joanne filippi Author January 12, 2020 (1:04 am)

I think it is control board issues. On last burn made strange noises and smelled?? Like burning rubber. Now when turn stove on the combustion fan comes on right away. All things work except ignition. Had a service guy new igniter didn’t do anything. ?? Could it be just a fuse. My stove is ? 20 years old

Reply to Joanne filippi
  29. Jackie pavlicek Author February 19, 2020 (1:14 am)

King peeled stove model 5500M Why when i turn on pellet stove it runs to the normal run and then shuts off and will not turn on unles you unplug and plug back in??

Reply to Jackie pavlicek
  30. Kevon James Fansler Author March 21, 2020 (2:41 am)

I have a magnum 3500 when I start it the auger runs. After about 5-10 minutes all the fans are still running however the auger will shut off. If I turn the unit off (without unplugging it) then dial it back on the auger motor kicks back on.

Reply to Kevon James Fansler
    • Michele Collins Author November 29, 2020 (5:13 pm)

Try making sure the little peice where lid shuts that senses the lid is shut is up enough for enough pressure for lid to push it down. My husband bent it up just slightly for this reason

Reply to Michele Collins
  31. Brian harding Author September 13, 2020 (2:27 pm)

Mytimberwolf pellet stove will not feed. I jumped the vaccum swith and it works. Replaced the vacuum switch . But still does not work. Looking where to turn next

Reply to Brian harding
    • Fraser Davis Author September 21, 2020 (1:47 pm)

check to see if you have a “fines box” Same thing happened to me. When jumping the vacuum switch it ran. Replaced the switch, still nothing. Emptied the fines box and started right up.

Reply to Fraser Davis
  32. Michele Collins Author October 30, 2020 (11:25 pm)

My King pellet stove model kp130 will start up slowly also putting way too many pellets in. But then go to shut down saying Er-11. We just got the thing few weeks ago and ran fine.

Reply to Michele Collins
    • rosaelefant Author November 28, 2020 (7:08 pm)

Have you resolved this?

Reply to rosaelefant
      • Michele Collins Author November 29, 2020 (5:08 pm)

Yes problem was a clogged pipe due to us burning a lot of paper from wood stove we had. Cleaned that out and never had a problem since. Also I suggest getting a little metal shop vac made for vaccuming ash. We always have to make sure to vacuum it out before each use and also opening those ash trap doors on side of burner area and vacuuming about every 3 or 4 uses as these do get clogged with ash. Also you have to use a good hard wood pellet. You may have to try a few to find the right ones but you’ll know when you do because you will rarely have any unburned or on the sides. One thing we did on our settings is turned the “pellet loading” time down. This helps with the pellet overload and keeps it running smoothly. To do this hold top buttons- heat rate and Aug until a number shows. We set ours on 1.75 as recommend, since it’s set way to high from factory then hit start. It’s been running pretty good since we’ve done all this, so far so good- just got it in late September. It’s a lot less work than wood. Only thing we have to do is bring in a bag of pellets, dump in hopper, clean out ash. I do have to check hopper every so often as all pellets near end of being empty will stay up on the sides and I push them to the middle. We keep ours on HR 1 and, RF auto and DF 1. We use about a bag (40 lbs) a day if it’s running all day. With a modular home 2,144 sq ft. We have a ceiling fan above stove on low and a stand up fan on other side of room to circulate the heat. Also, we don’t have a clean air pipe as it’s not required for this model so we keep air circulating. We also have the standard pellet pipe going up and connecting to our wood stove pipe (believe it’s 6 in) and where a 90° is the pellet stove “T” pipe with removable bottom for ash dumping.

Reply to Michele Collins
  33. Jessica Author October 31, 2020 (12:07 am)

Have a ravelli rv100 it ignites but the room blower never turns on , it’s only three years old . Can’t seem to figure out why it’s not working

Reply to Jessica
  34. Elzie Author November 15, 2020 (8:11 pm)

Igniter light is flashing even though the pellet stove is fired up than the fire will go out

Reply to Elzie
    • rosaelefant Author November 28, 2020 (7:08 pm)

Replace the igniter or clean the stove.

Reply to rosaelefant
  35. Keith Author November 20, 2020 (10:59 pm)

I have an error code 5 on a King Pellet stove KP130 which says blown auger output fuse. Where is the fuse located at

Reply to Keith
    • rosaelefant Author November 28, 2020 (7:07 pm)

Probably near the external termostat. Just open it up and clean it at the same time. Your user manual is probably downloadable on the web.

Reply to rosaelefant
  36. Ken Gallagher Author November 25, 2020 (4:20 pm)

I have a King Pellet stove KP130 and it take to long to ignite are it will not lite at all

Reply to Ken Gallagher
  37. rosaelefant Author November 28, 2020 (7:00 pm)

Hi. I have an Extraflame baby fiamma from approx. 2006. When i start it up the fans start spinning like they’re in cooldown mode. The display is blinking in an non-rythmical way like theres not enough power. I’ve cleaned it. Checked the fuze and restarted it. If i remember correctly there was a couple of powerouts in the neighbourhood before the issues. Anybody?

Reply to rosaelefant
  38. Samantha Author November 29, 2020 (12:28 am)

I have a king pettet stove 5502m & its showing ercode 3.. I’m guessing its to do with the auger.. how would I go about trying to see if the auger is like jammed? I’m a young female & pretty much a newb when it comes to the pellet stove so please be as simple as possible but please help!!

Reply to Samantha
    • Michele Collins Author November 29, 2020 (5:23 pm)

Try making sure the sensor switch it clicking when lid shuts and make sure it’s sensing the lid is closed completely. My husband had to bend that peice up slightly the make it read the lid is shut for enough pressure to be on the peice. Read my reply to my question (it’s a long response) we have a King pellet stove. This explains everything we’ve done to make sure it runs smoothly.

Reply to Michele Collins
  39. Milan Mihailovic Author November 29, 2020 (9:18 pm)

I bought pellet stove with 18 kw in Serbia,and when i set parameters for coclea power 1(work 1) 0,3 sec…Is it possible ?My stove work whery fine but spend more pellet with these parameters.Please for answer.

Reply to Milan Mihailovic
  40. Kevin Coloe Author December 5, 2020 (10:58 am)

Hi.
    I have an EXTRAFLAME Ecologica pellet stove.
    It’s runs ok on level 4 and 5 but if I reduce to 1,2 or 3 after five mins it will turn off showing and error NO PELL even though the hopper is full, but the burn pot if full with inburned pellets.
    It’s hovered t within an inch of its life bit still the same problem.
    If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Reply to Kevin Coloe
    • Ollie Author December 29, 2020 (9:57 pm)

Did you ever solve that problem? Same thing with my extraflame

Reply to Ollie
      • Kevin Coloe Author December 29, 2020 (10:02 pm)

Hi Ollie.
        I actually fixed it myself last week . The guy I purchased the stove from had the auger set for hardwood pellets.
        When I checked ,my auger speed was on -45 . I increased the feed to -25 and it’s perfect now . If your not sure on how to adjust the auger let me know …

Reply to Kevin Coloe
        • Ollie Author December 29, 2020 (10:44 pm)

Thanks Kevin. I’ll have a look at it tomorrow and let you know if I’m in bother. Thanks

Reply to Ollie
          • Kevin Coloe Author December 29, 2020 (10:52 pm)

To get into auger settings press and hold 3 then press 5. Then keep pressing 5 until you see F . You will see you feed setting in display window 1..
            2 will increase and 3 will decrease. The finish by pressing 1.
            Hope this sorts it for you.

41. Tim Author December 11, 2020 (12:38 am)

Question my king pellet stove over heats if I go above heat 2 and it’s doing this because the room fan will only wrk 1-2-3 and when I put on numbers 4-9 it does not go any faster. But it revs up ea time 1-2-3 but no more at all when I go 4-9 on room blower fan. I see nothing in manual that shows I can reset or replace say a snap disc. There are none?

Reply to Tim
  42. Jason hawkes Author December 16, 2020 (9:04 am)

Hi there. I have a san ring sr r11 model 674b. It lights ok and runs ok but when the burner plate turns to empty the ash ect, when it turns to go back the the correct position it stops in the wrong place so the next lot of pellets drop straight through to the tray

Reply to Jason hawkes
  43. LISA RACANIELLO Author December 16, 2020 (4:53 pm)

Our Harman is not igniting. When we plug in it blows cold air and the ignitor light is not kicking on….

Reply to LISA RACANIELLO
  44. LISA RACANIELLO Author December 16, 2020 (4:54 pm)

When turned on pellet stove blowing cold air. ignitor light not coming on.

Reply to LISA RACANIELLO
  45. LISA RACANIELLO Author December 16, 2020 (4:55 pm)

When turned on pellet stove blowing cold air and ignitor light not coming on.

Reply to LISA RACANIELLO
  46. Kenneth Colaizzi Author December 27, 2020 (6:53 pm)

Replaced the convection blower, When operating on low blower does not operate smoothly. In other words slows down and then speeds up. On occasion will almost completely stop.

Reply to Kenneth Colaizzi
  47. Kevin Author January 7, 2021 (2:03 am)

I have a 2006 glow boy. Replaced the Combustion fan last year and the control board this year. Every once and a while the Combustion fan will just stop running or turn very very slow. If i shut down and restart its fine or if i adjust the trim down it will start running normal. What the heck is going on here? Sometimes it can be 2 weeks before this happens or 2 days.

Reply to Kevin
  48. Joe Dorety Author January 18, 2021 (7:28 pm)

I have a Timberwolf TPI35 that I put a new (not OEM) igniter in. I then started blowing the ignitor fuse. Running the stove manually (hand lighting) the stove works fine. Put in another new ignitor (non-OEM) and the same thing is happening. Do I need to increase fuse size or go back to the OEM igniter?

Reply to Joe Dorety
  49. Ryan loeper Author January 31, 2021 (5:14 pm)

New king stove, everything good except flames get high then low, listen to exhaust outside ramping up then down, why is exhaust not continuously on?

Reply to Ryan loeper
  50. Jay rozzay Author February 3, 2021 (11:38 pm)

My pellet stove turns on fine and then after about two hours at setting three. I come back

Reply to Jay rozzay
  51. Becky Author February 19, 2021 (4:28 pm)

My Breckwell P23 goes through lighting process fine but when the fans are supposed to kick on the stove shuts down.

Reply to Becky
  52. Dean Author March 5, 2021 (4:50 am)

My Warnock Hersey pellet stove was working fine. Then one morning it’s dead. No lights, motor, anything,completely lifeless. What happened?

Reply to Dean
  53. Earle Author April 14, 2021 (10:46 am)

(Vacuum lost, shutting down) coming up on my screen of my smart stove

Reply to Earle
  54. Ron D Author May 22, 2021 (5:08 pm)

I have an Amesti 8100 (Italy) pellet stove. Have a sporadic problem. Every so often, maybe 5 days or so, it will not ignite. I just restart it and it works fine. I clean it every day, including the glass. Could it be the pellets? Buy from the same place I always do.

Reply to Ron D
  55. Norm Author February 7, 2022 (3:44 pm)

My eco choice cab 50 pellet stove red call light is not coming on and eventually a solid green light comes on

Reply to Norm
  56. Dave c Author February 8, 2022 (2:09 am)

Is there a gasket or some sort of sealant for igniter on a pp130 pellet stove?

Reply to Dave c
  57. Jeff Author February 21, 2022 (11:22 pm)

I have a Heatilator eco choice cab 50. The ash does not fall into the ash pan. It just piles up inside the stove. Looking for help.

Reply to Jeff
  58. Darrell lane Author March 7, 2022 (5:17 pm)

I have a king pellet stove and the blower doesn’t come on when the stove is on but when I shut it off the blower comes on , why isn’t it coming on when it’s running

Reply to Darrell lane
  59. Les Quesenberry Author March 27, 2022 (11:08 am)

I have no power to my unit. Outlet is good.

Reply to Les Quesenberry